Amazing! Metal Roof Care Tips for Homeowners
Information about Metal Roof Care Tips for Homeowners
A good spring cleaning of the exterior of your home is a great way to improve curb appeal and prepare for the upcoming summer season.
And many of the projects that make the biggest impact are easy enough for homeowners to tackle themselves. This is especially true for houses with metal roofs. Unlike asphalt roofing, which can be susceptible to moss, mold and fungus and which require harsh chemicals to treat and clean, cleaning a quality metal roof is often as easy and inexpensive as using little more than plain water to remove dirt and grime wash off deposits effectively.
“Metal roofs are known for being trouble-free and easy to maintain. A simple cleaning can keep your roof in tip-top condition, looking good and performing well for many decades,” said Renee Ramey, executive director of the Metal Roofing Alliance (MRA).
Whether homeowners tackle the cleaning themselves or hire a professional, MRA recommends five simple steps and this non-toxic recipe for cleaning metal roofs:
- Step 1: Clean all gutters and downspouts and remove all large roofs such as tree branches.
- Step 2:Try a garden hose attachment to spray away common dirt and debris (never use a pressure washer).
- Step 3: If water alone isn’t enough to remove common dirt and debris, mix 1/4 cup laundry detergent (including mild laundry detergent, car wash detergent, mild dish soap) per gallon of water. Do not overuse or abuse cleaning products. Always follow the manufacturer’s specific instructions to protect and maintain roof warranties.
- Step 4: Apply the solution to the roof surface using a washcloth, sponge, soft brush and/or non-abrasive pad. The goal is to use the lightest touch that gets the job done effectively. Never use steel wool, wire brushes, scouring powder, paint remover, or thinner on a metal roof.
- Step #5: Leave the solution on for 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing the surface thoroughly with clean water.
Remember that safety is always the most important step in any type of roof maintenance, regardless of the material. Do not climb ladders or roofs unless you are comfortable, equipped or well prepared to take necessary and appropriate precautions. For more information on the benefits and long-term, low-maintenance performance of metal roofing, visit the Metal Roofing Alliance at www.metalroofing.com.
Breaking Story – Metal Roof Care Tips for Homeowners
The Latest News on Metal Roof Care Tips for Homeowners
Original Source: https://www.metalroofing.com/news/spring-cleaning-season-metal-roof-care-tips-homeowners/
Category – Roofing