Amazing! New Tests Show Advantages of Cor-Tuf Ultra-High Performance Concrete – LBM Research Associates
Information about New Tests Show Advantages of Cor-Tuf Ultra-High Performance Concrete – LBM Research Associates
As the advantages of Ultra high performance concrete (UHPC) become better known in the concrete and construction industries, it becomes even more important for builders and contractors to learn about the differences between the various UHPC products on the market. You’d think there are only slight nuances between one mix of UHPC and another, but the truth is this The differences are pretty big.
In fact, choosing the best UHPC for a particular project can make or break your success or failure when it comes to meeting project schedules, requirements, and budget. Here we take a closer look at what to consider when evaluating UHPC products and how a proprietary UHPC blend – Cor-Tuf UHPC – opens new doors when it comes to how this new concrete product is used in all types of concrete construction projects can be.
Properties to Consider When Evaluating UHPC Providers
Here are the key points to consider when choosing one UHPC Use the mixture for your next project.
- Castability—UHPC is difficult to use on large products when it cannot be poured. The mixture must be flowable (and even pumpable) if you want to use it for large projects. Make sure the mixture you choose is easy to pour.
- Lot size—Many traditional UHPC products can only be mixed in small amounts (think 50 pound bags). This requires the constant measuring and mixing of many batches during a given project, resulting in downtime for machines and workers. Be sure to look for a UHPC product that can be mixed in larger batches and that will meet the requirements of the job.
- consistency—The stack size is a big factor affecting consistency. Of course, numerous small batches in a given project have small margins of error that lead to a lack of overall consistency in the final product. These deviations have a negative effect on quality and durability. UHPC, which can be mass produced, do not have this consistency problem and are a better choice.
- machinery—New materials often require new equipment or processes. While this applies to some UHPC mixes, there are also UHPC products available that can be mixed and poured using conventional machinery using the same process as conventional concrete. This eliminates the cost of new equipment and allows your current workforce to work seamlessly with the tools and workflows they already know.
- Mixing time– Mixing time for UHPC products can vary widely, with many conventional mixes taking up to 20 minutes per batch. When evaluating UHPC products, be sure to consider the mixing time required as there are options that can be ready in minutes.
- adjustment—While all UHPC mixes gain strength compared to conventional concrete, there are differences in strength between the UHPC products and the mixes themselves. It is the unique blend of integrated fibers in the mix that provides strength gains. Look for a supplier who can create a custom mix to meet the specific strength needs of your project. Some UHPC providers may also make additional adjustments in terms of working hours and leveling, which will add more value to your project schedule and success.
See for yourself: Five groundbreaking advantages of Cor-Tuf Ultra-High Performance Concrete
Cor-Tuf Ultra-High Performance Concrete is a proprietary UHPC blend developed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to meet the need for an incredibly strong (yet accessible) material to protect personnel and weapon systems from explosions and intruders .
The Cor-Tuf team has thoroughly tested Cor-Tuf UHPC to demonstrate the unique benefits of this UHPC blend compared to other commercial variants. Our recent tests show five ways Cor-Tuf UHPC is breaking the game – not just in the larger concrete industry, but within the smaller UHPC community as well.
In these tests, the Cor-Tuf team produced two post-tensioned 30-foot girders, one prestressed 63-foot girder, and two post-tensioned 30-foot H-piles. You can watch how these products are made and tested in the Video below, but here’s a sneak peek of what you’ll discover about this innovative UHPC concrete mix.
If you are using Cor-Tuf UHPC, the dry mix will be delivered on site. Conventional sand, cement and the proprietary wet ingredients are then added. In our most recent round of testing, mixer trucks were used along with other industry standard equipment to demonstrate how easy it is to use Cor-Tuf UHPC on a construction project.
Despite the innovative UHPC mix design, no new machines or processes are required. Cor-Tuf UHPC can be mixed and poured like conventional concrete. In our current tests, the mixing process was completed in just four minutes, which reduced downtime on the construction site to a minimum.
In these specific tests, the Cor-Tuf team used 1 yard premixed Super Sacs with dry Cor-Tuf ingredients to deliver the product to the job site. In addition to the use of super sacks, we also design our batch systems for mixing and distributing in a silo style in order to pour larger batches more efficiently and cost-effectively.
This makes Cor-Tuf UHPC extremely easy to scale for any project, large or small. The product can be supplied in a variety of grades, from 50 pound bags to full tankers, making it easy to use on even the largest infrastructure projects.
In contrast to other UHPC products, Cor-Tuf UHPC has a long processing time (more than an hour) and is very flowable. This high fluidity allows workers to easily use standard equipment such as a mixer truck with its slower dispensing rate.
In our most recent tests, truck mixers poured Cor-Tuf UHPC into the tightest of molds with no problem. Cor-Tuf UHPC can even be developed while mixing to increase or decrease working hours to add even more benefits to the on-site process.
The quality and consistency of UHPC can decide or destroy a project. Our most recent tests have further confirmed the quality and reliability of the prestressed Cor-Tuf products. The H-piles were fitted with strain gauges to monitor possible movement of the pre-stressed cables in the piles. As expected, the piles showed no relevant movements of the ropes embedded in them when they were relaxed.
After relaxing, a crane pulled out the piles. It did this without complications, resulting in a near-perfect product. The piles that were pulled out had an almost ideal finish and adapted their steel shapes down to the smallest detail. As part of our strict quality control standards, they were completely free of major voids, bug holes, or other imperfections.
During our quality control we take extensive samples after mixing each batch of Cor-Tuf UHPC. Samples are tested before the material is poured to ensure the batch meets our rigorous standards.
One of the main advantages of UHPC over traditional concrete is its strength, and our tests clearly show how strong Cor-Tuf UHPC is. Samples were tested for compressive strength at the 24, 48 and 72 hour markings, with results in excess of 8,000 pounds per square inch (psi), 13,500 psi and 16,500 psi, respectively. A final 28 day cure compressive strength of 28,200 was achieved.
UHPC is revolutionizing the concrete industry, bringing unprecedented strength, durability and more to the table. But the specific UHPC blend selected does Object. Cor-Tuf UHPC not only delivers in terms of strength, it can also do things that other UHPC compounds simply cannot.
Cor-Tuf UHPC enables this new concrete technology to break through into the mainstream. The ability to use standard equipment and processes, along with the long man hours, pourability and scalability make the transition from traditional concrete to UHPC easy for any construction or infrastructure task. Proven consistency, coupled with the strictest quality control procedures, takes no worries about what you get. Ultra-high-performance concrete is really the future of concrete thanks to Cor-Tuf UHPC.
Check out the video below to see our latest test event and see Cor-Tuf in action for two post-tensioned 30-foot girders, one prestressed 63-foot girder, and two post-tensioned 30-foot H-piles. Stay tuned for more updates as we continue to develop new concrete solutions and innovations with Cor-Tuf UHPC.
Breaking Story – New Tests Show Advantages of Cor-Tuf Ultra-High Performance Concrete – LBM Research Associates
The Latest News on New Tests Show Advantages of Cor-Tuf Ultra-High Performance Concrete – LBM Research Associates
Original Source: https://www.lbmresearchassoc.com/2019/12/19/seeing-is-believing-new-tests-show-advantages-of-cor-tuf-ultra-high-performance-concrete/
Category – Concrete